Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jumpin' Jack Math!


What do you do with a wiggly little girl who needs to move during Math Time? You introduce her to Jumpin' Jack Math!! This is not a new idea to any of us who homeschool but it is a new idea for Belle. I have also used a similar "tool" from my arsenal of ideas with "non-stop Jake".

Here's how we do it...Belle does a section of math and then she does a set of jumpin' jacks. What's cool about this is that the benefits are threefold: 1) allows her the needed movement 2)provides exercise and 3) and extra counting practice.

This would so not be an incentive for me to do my math! lol!! Maybe little pieces of chocolate but definitely not jumpin' jacks!

post signature

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will jump for chocolate...or coffee...or bacon! Not math. She's a cutie, and it's a great idea if it works!

KC said...

LOL.. no wouldn't work for me to do my math either.
Great WW.

Melanie said...

Wouldn't work for me either! Isn't it funny how kids like to do that kind of stuff?
Offer me chocolate chip cookies and that would be a different story!

Sonya said...

Cool idea!

Anonymous said...

LOL! She is a hoot I tell ya! Good idea on the jumping jacks!

Unknown said...

Just so you know, there is lots of evidence that performing physical activity during or right after learning something also helps the brain form the new neural pathways needed to retain the learning. Plus- it's fun!

Anonymous said...

I like that! I'm a homeschool my daughter.

Anonymous said...

Well, I love math, but you can count me out for the jumping jacks! I'll leave those to the young and energetic...

Fatcat said...

I used to let my youngest son jump on the bed between problems.

As for me, I have to do jumping jacks in 3 steps, first the arms, then one leg, then the other leg. Fatcats can't jump. ;-)

Sherry said...

My 10 1/2 yo still needs plenty of wriggle time to learn. I'm so glad we homeschool and he doesn't need to be drugged to keep him still.

Anonymous said...

LOL, she is so cute. I agree, I would rather have chocolate as a motivator! But, my kids would rather move!

Jamin

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jaminacema