Monday, May 28, 2007

A Baby Bottle and Romance


TeaMouse is having another writing contest! This time the theme is "romance". The following is my entry...

As I approach the one year anniversary of Gus' death, what we fondly like to call his Coronation Ceremony, I have been reminiscing quite a bit. I have a lot of memories from this journey and I'm trying to get them all down on paper.

When I think of romance, I think about a time when Gus was just about a month old and in the NICU. Pete would always go to the NICU in the mornings so he could get the doctors' reports. He had to do this because, at that time, I really couldn't process much. Between being post-partum, having a deathly ill child and being 2 hours from home, I was a complete mess. All I heard was "he's not going to make it..." even when the reports were fairly good! (the head nurse ordered me to stop pumping, start eating chocolate and get some Zoloft...things were much better after that, but that's another story for another time! lol!)

One morning I got a phone call from Pete telling me that I needed to come down to the hospital because the doctors had decided it was time to try to feed Gus with a bottle! I was so excited...I just remember thanking God for this progress. I went down and scrubbed in...sat down and feed my baby for the very first time ever.

Later, it hit me what Pete had done. He very easily could have fed Gus himself and then told me about it later....he could have demanded that I give him a turn feeding Gus...but he didn't. He was so sensitive to my needs and desires and to me, that is true romance.

Pete did this very thing several other times...even on the day that Gus died.

I told him that I needed to hold Gus as he passed and he told me that he wouldn't have it any other way. He could have put his foot down and told me that I "had to share" and that we both should be holding Gus. He knew though...he knew what I needed and he loved me so much that he denied himself the privilege of holding Gus as he died.

That's romance, folks...and I am blessed...


Be sure to go over to TeaMouse's to read the other posts about romance! I think it is so nice of her to host these contests!
post signature

4 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

Many bloggers, including WW participants, will be flying Peace Globes in the blogosphere on Wednesday, June 6, 2007. It is BlogBlast for Peace day - the second annual event. Please consider using your Wordless Wednesday platforms on this day to participate. You can find more information about the movement at Mimi Writes or BlogBlast for Peace
http://mimiwrites.blogspot.com or http://mimilenox.blogspot.com

Thanks and peace!
Mimi

Anonymous said...

This is so touching. I'm so sorry about your loss but I'm happy that you have such a compassionate & loving man. You are blessed and so is he. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah!that was romantic and you are a blessed woman :)

thanx for the comment!
ghee

TeaMouse said...

I don't even know what to say to that - I'm so moved. I wipe a tear from the corner of my eye and tip my hat to your good man, that was indeed a pure romantic gesture to do for you and he's a good man to do so!

Thank you so much for sharing - I am so glad that you are able to share this story of Gus with us all - I am blessed just to read the stories you write about him - he is a little angel!