Sunday, June 3, 2007

Toxic Toothpaste

Tooth Paste


I was checking out food recalls at the FDA site and I came across this posting about toothpaste from China. This recalled toothpaste contains DEG which is used in anti-freeze and as a solvent. What?! In my toothpaste?! In the toothpaste my babies use?? Sheesh....oh, wait...the FDA has had no reports here in the US.....yet. Furthermore, you can calm down because apparently this antifreeze ingredient is only really harmful for people who have kidney or liver diseases and....for our CHILDREN..."low but meaningful risk of toxicity and injury" is what the FDA says....hmmmm....

I think it's time for us to start using baking soda...it's cheap and as far as I know, it doesn't contain any toxins. Besides it's on my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days! And doesn't it make your teeth sparkle??

Here's a link with some info on homemade toothpaste.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that it was showing up in some dollar stores at least in NYC. Crazy, I don't think I would ever but toothpaste from a dollar store anyway. Other things, of course, though.