Monday, November 12, 2007

My New Favorite!


Our boys are really into gaming. We really strive to buy games that are appropriate for the ages, however, I admit that there are a few games that have gotten past me. You see, I'll take the blame here because I haven't taught everyone in the household (you know who you are!) how to look for the ESRB rating. I haven't explained that the ESRB rating is our friend and that we should embrace it! lol!

Now, I have always been very pleased with the rating badge on the game boxes. Obviously, I have been missing out on so much more through because the ESRB has a website chocked full of information! There you will find tons of tips for parents. For example, did you know that you can set parental controls on popular game consoles? I knew that individual games could be censored, but I had no idea that the consoles themselves could be also. Not sure how to attempt that feat? No problem, the ESRB has step-by-step guides to help you set the controls you wish to set! I am all over our Wii later today!!

The reason for ESRB's establishment in 1994 was threefold:

1. to rate the content of computer and video games

2. to enforce advertising guidelines that have been agreed upon by the industry and

3. to help ensure online privacy practices for the interactive entertainment software industry.

I think the ESRB site is one that I will certainly keep bookmarked and if you have children who are into gaming, then you should also!

No comments: