Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Heparin Overdose

This news story just makes me sick.

I was reading about Dennis Quaid's newborn twins that were supposed to be dosed 10 units of heparin, a blood thinner, but instead received 10,000 units! Heparin is given to preemies to prevent blood clots, but if too much is given, they can experience a massive bleed that could be fatal. Apparently, the med was placed in the wrong bin by a tech and that's how the nurse accidentally over-dosed the babies. I am a little confused here because when Gus was in the NICU, all his meds had to be double checked by another nurse and not only was the syringe with the dose double checked but so was the vial from which the med had been drawn. I know accidents happen...we're all human, but this has happened several times at different hospitals...which makes me wonder how often it happens elsewhere. Scary!

No comments: