Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Birthplace of the Shrimping Industry

Do you know where the birthplace of the modern shrimping industry is?? Neither did I until I did a little bit of research about Amelia Island which is located on the northeast coast of Florida near Jacksonville. I’m thinking that if this is the birthplace of the shrimping industry then there are surely some good shrimp eatin’ places in the area! Yum!

I’ve heard of Amelia Island before and have even suggested that we travel there for vacation. What I didn’t know was how rich in history the place is! I know, I know, all places have “history”, but there are just some places that have really neat history! Lol!! I mean really, the birthplace of the shrimping industry, home of fort clinch and just the fact that it is a seaport means that there is probably lots of history! And because I am always look for learning opportunities for my family, I was pleased to see that there is a lot to see nature-wise. Things like sea turtles, birds and of course the tidal pools and shells are wonderful things to observe. Really, I think we just need to go ahead and plan our trip to this neat little island!

Of course, we are pretty much tied down to this area until Pete finishes nursing school, but for those who can travel right now, you may want to check out this Lodging Special I found out about. Basically, you reserve two nights at a participating hotel or bed and breakfast on Amelia Island and the the third night free. I think that’s a great deal and we would certainly be at least checking it out if we were going to be traveling soon!

Oh….how I would love to do some traveling right now!


No comments: