Friday, July 18, 2008

Lightening Strikes and Powder

I don't need to tell you that lightening strikes can be deadly. I ALWAYS make my kiddos come in when a storm is approaching...it just makes me too nervous for them to be out in weather like that. I just read about a 26 year old woman, Marina Sadykova, who was struck by lightening while she was sunbathing. She was talking on her cell phone...according to the police, the cell phone was melted in her hand. It's thought that the increase in lightening strikes like this is because of the increase in the use of "portable electronic technology" such as cell phones and music players. I've not put a tremendous amount of thought into this, but at first glimpse, I think it's pretty scary, don't you? I mean really, there you are talking on the phone or listening to your favorite song and Whoosh....you've been hit! Sheesh-a-Moley!!

Anyway....reading the article reminded me of the movie Powder. Jeremy Reed, aka Powder, was an albino teen who had extraordinary powers...he was able to use more of his brain than anyone had ever been able to do. While he was in utero, his mother was struck by lightening and died. This strike gave Powder incredible powers. His father turns away from him because of his appearance and he ends up living with his grandparents. He is kept in the cellar where he basically experiences the world through books. In fact, he memorizes all of them!


The movie progresses and you see Powder realizing more and more that he is different. You also see how deeply he wants to be loved and be "normal" like everyone else. He does meet a nice girl who does accept him, however, her father puts a quick end to that!

I really enjoyed the movie...I even cried in several places. My heart just broke for Powder when he talked about the worst day of his life....the day he was born (he remembered his dad being disgusted by his appearance!) The ending of the movie was surprising to me...it involved lightening and no, I'm not going to tell you what happened! You'll have to watch the movie!!

2 comments:

My name is Kristie said...

I was just talking to my husband the other day about how crazy the lightning seems to be. Now I just figured it was probably my overactive imagination. But now I'm thinking maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

As for the movie, I know I 've seen it, but I honestly don't remember it at all. Maybe I'll have to see if the library carries it. Would you say it was family friendly?

Have a great Sunday,
Kristie

Anonymous said...

my company replica bags from china Our site replica bags from china you can try here Dolabuy Fendi